Every Friday, three DC area bloggers Mary at Mar On the Run, Cynthia at You Signed Up For What?! and Courtney from Eat Pray Run, DC to host the Friday Five linkup. Anyone can join with their own Friday Five post (yes, it must be a Friday Five!!) They encourage you to visit other blogs on the linkup, comment, share and engage!
This week, the theme is My Five Favorite _____________________
Of course, I filled in the blank with races….
You know that I love to race and I have run A LOT of RACES so it is hard for me to pick just FIVE.
Just to be interesting, I will pick 5 different distances.
Here they are:
1. Freihofer’s Run for Women (5k) – it is ALL women (more than 4000)– all ages, all sizes, veterans, newbies, elites, walkers. When I ran it the first year that I started running (2008), it made feel like a “real” runner. Finishing it after suffering a serious injury (2012) helped me believe that I could be a runner again. And then in 2013, completing it with a broken foot showed me how strong (or maybe stubborn) I was.
I love the downhill finish of this race and I also enjoy running through Washington Park in Albany, NY where I run often after work.
It is convenient since I can park at work and walk to the race to avoid the traffic and confusion. There is an expo the day before where you get free Freihofers cookies and a loaf of bread.
2. Spring Runoff (10K) – This 10K takes place in the spring and it a good way to kick start your racing season. It is run along the Hudson River and on the bike path that I go to often for my long runs.
The evening before, there is a free pasta dinner where I met two awesome ladies.
The course is fairly flat and is my currrent 10K PR.
3. Stockade-athon (15k) - This race is the oldest 15k in the country. It takes place in the fall so the foliage is pretty and you run around Central Park and through the oldest parts of the city of Schenectady, NY.
It is a popular local race for me so you run into a lot of familiar faces. The end of the race features food such as pizza, hot soup and cozy fireplaces.
4. Adirondack Distance Run (10 miler) - There aren’t many 10 mile races around and this is a great one. It has a point-to-point course that starts in the village of Lake George, NY and ends in Bolton Landing. It takes place in early summer so it is not too hot or humid yet.
The course is rolling hills but you don’t mind since you are running along Lake George the whole way.
This is the route that I drive each weekend to go on our boat.
Since our marina is next door to the beach, I can have friends cheering for me at the finish line.
5. Naples News Half Marathon (13.1) - This race is special because it was my first half marathon. It was also held in one my favorite vacation spots. I go there every year with my tennis friends. The race was held on my wedding anniversary and my hubby was there waiting at the finish line. Plus if you live in the NE, January in Florida is a great getaway.
The course is beautiful with many views of the Gulf.
At one point, a priest blessed runners with holy water.
I don’t plan to repeat any of my half marathon races but maybe someday I will run this one again.
Happy Running! What are your 5 favorite races? Have you run any of the above?