The My One Word approach seems to be very popular this year.
Here is a summary:
Lose the long the list of changes you want to make this year and instead pick one word. This process forces clarity by taking all of your big plans for life change and narrowing them down into a single thing. Your one word focuses on your character and creates a vision for your future.
I know this has been around for several years, but for the first time, I am going to try it.
My word for 2014 is:
What is Acceptance?
Acceptance is “a person’s assent to the reality of a situation, recognizing a process or condition without attempting to change it, protest, or exit.”
Why did I choose Acceptance?
I think on the whole that I am too critical of myself. My expectations of others are too high. I focus too much on the negative. I get disappointed and/or hurt too easily.
How will I focus on my word?
- Accept my weaknesses. I may not be the fastest runner, best tennis player or most flexible yogi. I am me.
- Accept that other have different priorities than I do. Do not try to change them.
- Accept the good with the bad. Not every run or tennis match will be a good one. Not everything I attempt will turn out well.
- Accept my family, financial and work situations. They may not be the best but they could be a lot worse.
- Accept that sometimes your best effort is not enough.
- Accept that life is flawed and so are people.
- Accept failures. But don’t give up. Try again.
Happy Running! If you were to choose ONE word for your focus throughout the year what word would you choose?