I know that I said I wouldn’t do one until the fall. But I am having trouble deciding on a fall half and I just got caught up in racing excitement of my 10 mile race last Sunday.
So what’s 3 more miles in 3 weeks??
- Flat and fast course in beautiful Saratoga Spa State Park
- Saratoga Springs Strong To Serve Half Marathon Technical Shirts to all half marathon runners
- Saratoga Springs Strong To Serve Half Marathon finisher medals to all half marathon finishers
- Saratoga Springs Strong To Serve Half Marathon /Pint Glasses to overall and age group champions
- 6 water stops of half marathon course / 1 water stop on 5K course
- At least 2 Port-a-potties on the half marathon course
- Fresh fruit, pastries, and more at the finish line
- Packet pickup 7/12/14 Noon – 5:00 PM at iRunLocal & on race morning at Race HQ
- Top notch make-your-own goodie bags
- 20% of all entries fees support the Strong To Serve
The Half Marathon course starts in with a lap around the Peerless Pool Parking Lot, turns right on East West Road, and then right onto Geyser Loop Road. The course then turns left to run a lap around the SPAC Parking Lot and returning to Geyser Loop Road. The course then turns left on East West Road, left on North South Road, and continues onto Roosevelt Drive. The course then turns onto the path on Avenue of the Pines, turning right on the path to head south beside Route 9. At Crescent Avenue the course moves out to the breakdown lane of Route 9 and continues south to East West Road. The course turns right on East West Road returning to the front entrance of the Peerless Pool Parking Lot. The course then continues for a 2nd full lap. After the 2nd lap the course turns right into the Peerless Pool Parking Lot finishing with a lap around the parking lot.
I have never run a race with a second full lap. This is a negative especially when you are a slow runner. Another will be if it is hot and humid. Again if you are slow, you will finish later when it is warmer out. And the third is that it is an inaugural race. I don’t think there will be a lot of runners and I could be running much of the race alone.
Nevertheless, I am excited to run my first summer half marathon. It will be purely for fun – no expectations. Especially since I have had no training plan and it is summer. Hopefully, it will be enjoyable and I can be on our boat on Lake George by noon.
Instead of a 12 week plan, I have a 4 week plan.
- I ran 10 hilly miles last Sunday.
- I will attempt to get in 11 miles this Saturday (no promises)
- I have Mon, July 7 off from work to run 12 miles (or not).
- 13.1 miles on Sun, July 13 or bust.
- Finish uninjured
- Not finish last
- Have fun
- Finish under 2:30:00
Happy Running! Have you done a half in the summer? Have you run a half without training?