Every Friday, three DC area bloggers Mary at Mar On the Run, Cynthia at You Signed Up For What?! and Courtney from Eat Pray Run, DC to host the Friday Five linkup. Anyone can join with their own Friday Five post (yes, it must be a Friday Five!!) They encourage you to visit other blogs on the linkup, comment, share and engage!
This week, the theme is Race Memories:
I have run 124 races so that’s a lot of race memories. (And blogging helps keep them alive.)
Here are my top five (in no particular order):
1. My first Half Marathon. I didn’t tell my friends that I was running a half marathon. I had only raced 5Ks up to that point and they wouldn’t have understood. The race also took place in Naples, Fla, my favorite vacation spot (where I go annually with my tennis friends.) It took place on my wedding anniversary and my hubby was there waiting for me at the finish line. When I finished, I couldn’t believe that I had run 13.1 miles and I couldn’t wait to sign up for another.
2. The SRM’s First 5K – Strong Running Mamas (SRM) started as a small group by The Happy Runner who wanted to encourage some friends to start running. We met once a month and ran as a group and it culminated with their first 5K. I was just as excited for them as they were.
These runners continued on to run 10ks, 15ks, half marathons and marathons. In fact, they are what motivated me to run my first half marathon. The group now has a Facebook page and has over 140 members.
3. My First Race After My Ankle Surgery. I fell avoiding an ice patch in December 2011 while out running and broke my ankle in several places. I had a plate and 8 screws put in. It was a very long recovery. The doctor said that I probably would not be able to run. I didn’t for 5 months but I went to the Freihofer’s Run For Women intending to try to walk it. But when the gun went off I started running and didn’t stop until the I crossed the finish line.
4. My First 10 Mile and Most Scenic Race – My running buddy Mary moved away to La Quinta, CA and I really missed her so I signed up for a 10 mile race in Palm Springs and we ran it together.
The views on the course were awesome. I can’t wait to go back.
5. My Wettest But Most Fun Half Marathon. This race was planned by a new runner friend, Heidi. She then invited her local friend Adrienne. Both Heidi and Adrienne brought their husbands (Heidi’s hubby even ran it.) It was Heidi & Adrienne’s FIRST half marathon. Heidi also invited 2 high school friends, Lisa & Andrea, who were experienced half marathoners.
We had so much fun at the expo, exploring the sites of Philly and at dinner.
Unfortunately, there was a record rainfall during the whole 13.1 miles. I have never ever been so wet in my life. (Except for my 2nd half marathon in Lake George.)
Oh and this half marathon is my PR.
Happy Running! What are some of your race memories?