This week’s topic is: Fueling Options & Tips
This is so individual. Everyone has different tastes, flavor preferences, digestion issues, fitness levels, etc.
But here is what I use for fuel when I run…
Before a Run:
I never go out for a run on an empty stomach. If it is in the morning, I eat a bowl of hot cereal (2 packets.)
If it is in the afternoon, I usually eat some type of protein/energy bar.
During a run:
- Gels– I usually take one gel before a race and every 4 miles during a long run or race.
- Chews & beans– These are not my preference but I have taken them. I find them too sweet and too much like candy.
- Water supplements – I prefer just plain H2O. But I know many people like to add electrolytes to their water.
After a run: I like carbs such as bagels and cookies and fruit especially bananas and watermelon. If I have the choice, it would be ice cream!
- Be prepared. Carry fuel with you just in case. (I have forgotten to bring something & it’s not fun.)
- Never try anything new during a race. Always try new products during your training runs.
- Dieting is not a good idea if you are running. Rather than skimping on food to lose weight, just eat healthier.
- Do what feels right for you. Some runners don’t eat before they run, gels upset some runners’ stomachs, etc.
- When you find what you like, buy in bulk. FleetFeet sells gels – buy 10, get 2 free. You can buy online.
Happy Running! How do you fuel your runs?