This week’s topic is: Runner’s Nutrition
I should preface this post with the fact that I do not eat healthy most of the time. I love my carbs and my desserts (esp. ice cream).
That being said, here’s what me, the runner, eats :
- Pre-Race Meal (the night before) – Pizza or Pasta
I don’t like too much cheese or sauce. I prefer a thin crust.
Again, I don’t overdo on the sauce or the cheese.
- Pre-Race meal (the morning of) – Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat
Sometimes I make instant and sometimes I make the real stuff. My favorite flavor is maple or brown sugar cinnamon.
- Snacks before and after running – Protein Bars
If I run after work, I usually eat one of these before I run. On days off, when I run in the morning, I eat one after my run. My favorites are Balance bar (yogurt honey peanut) and Kind (vanilla blueberry). I also like Cliff bars (pumpkin & gingerbread).
- Fuel during long runs or long races – Energy Gels
I usually take one GU before a race and every 4 miles during a long run or race. I have never had any stomach issues with GU,
- What I drink before run & during a race – H20
Just plain water…nothing added. And usually from the tap. I don’t like to carry water so I drink it before and after or loop back to my car. Races are perfect since they provide water.
- What I drink after a run or a race – Chocolate milk
Not fuel but refuel. For some reason, after a race, this is the only thing I can eat/drink right away. It doesn’t upset my stomach.
Non-running related Nutrition:
- Breakfast – Hot Cereal
- Lunch (I snack throughout the day at my desk) – Bagel, Yogurt, Cheese, Apple
- Dinner – Meat or Fish, Brown Rice & a Vegetable
- Evening Snack – Ice cream (what else?)
My downfall is eating in restaurants and at other people’s houses. I have NO WILL POWER!
Happy Running! What do you eat as a runner? Do you eat healthy?