Each month, one of my responsibilities as a Skirt Sports Ambassador Captain is to post on a particular topic.
This month it’s:
- “261” and honoring the anniversary of Kathrine Switzer; the first woman to officially run the Boston Marathon
- Women conquering barriers
I wrote a post recently about women conquering barriers HERE – AGE being the barrier.
I can’t tell you how many times, I have heard women say:
- I’m too old to run.
- I used to run when I was younger…
- I can’t run fast, I’m too old.
- A half marathon at my age?
- I don’t want to wreck my knees.
- I don’t want to wind up needing a hip replaced.
- Won’t you get arthritis?
- Etc. etc etc
If you run, you know that none of this is true. There are so many runners at my age and older. Some are still fast and some are not. It doesn’t matter. They are out there running and enjoying life.
I met Joan Benoit Samuelson several years ago. She is so nice. She is still running marathons and she is still fast.
Kathrine Switzer is “fearless”ly still running at almost 70 years old.
You can read more about 261 Fearless on her site here.
So everyone be “FEARLESS” and run until …..
Don’t let your age be a barrier to fitness.