This Thursday is for thinking… so I am linking up with Running With Spoons…
I am thinking today, of course, about my upcoming 5K race…
This is the only race that I’ve run every year!
Due to construction, they are changing the course.
So it is even more exciting?
They say that this course will be faster…less congestion and less steep hill at the start.
As with this race every year, I never know what will happen…
Will I be on the first page of the sports section again?
I should be recovering not running a 5K. I just race a half marathon last Sunday.
But how could I miss my 8th Freihofer’s Run for Women?
Yes, for the 8th time, I am running this race. I wouldn’t miss it for the world.
The Freihofer Run for Women is my favorite race:
- It is ALL women – all ages – all sizes – veterans – newbies – elites – walkers
- It is a real USATF race with Olympic runners in it.
- It feels so good to be a part of its excitement.
- The results are printed in the local newspaper and even though I finish around 2000, I am happy if I finish in the top half.
- You always meet someone you know.
- Running it in 2008 made realize that I actually was a runner.
- Being part of other runners’ first 5k in 2010 made me proud.
- 2011 was my FRW PR year.
- Finishing it in 2012 (after serious ankle surgery) helped me believe that I could be a runner again.
- I broke my foot at the beginning of the race in 2013 and still gutted out a finish under 30 minutes!
- In 2014, I ran as part of a team to raise money for a former student who was diagnosed with breast cancer.
- It ends with a downhill 🙂
- Maybe I’ll make the newspapers again…
This is the first time I trained with a running group.
Training is a loose term. I kinda just showed up. Monday runs were always after a Sunday long run and I never attended the Saturday runs. But it will be fun to share the excitement of all the runners who will be finishing their FIRST 5k. And see my “advanced” buddies who will hopefully PR.
In such a crowded race, it is impossible to have time goal. But finishing under 30 minutes (AND NOT GETTING INJURED) would make me happy. A race PR (under 28:14) would make me super happy!
I would love at least to reverse the “run a 5k and get slower with each one” trend.
- Cherry Blossom 5k – 27:56
- Albany Law Day 5K – 29:16
- Mother’s Day 5K – 30:16
Happy Running! Do you have a favorite race?