This week’s topic is Planning for a Racecation or Destination Race
Well, I do do this several times a year so here are my tips:
- Make a list of what you need to bring.
Then you can cross things off as you pack them. Don’t forget race fuel.
- Start packing early
I start a few weeks in advance. I use a bed in my spare bedroom. Sometimes, I use an extra laundry basket. And everything I think of something to bring, I put in the pile. You can’t do it all because as we know, the weather forecasts will change.
- Be prepared for last minute changes in weather.
Bring a shirt for a warmer forecast and one for a cooler one. Bring a rain poncho & an umbrella. Of course, bring throw away clothes.
- Bring your race morning breakfast.
I never count on that a friend or hotel will have what I usually eat. I bring packets of oatmeal and tea. (Don’t forget a cup, bowl & spoon.)
- Print important information for packet pickup & the race start.
I have everything on my iPhone but you never know…when it won’t work or the battery dies.
- If you are flying, pack race essentials in your carry-on.
What if your luggage gets lost….
- Plan to arrive at least 2 days before the race.
Of course, you’ll have time to relax. And if you car breaks down or your flight is cancelled, you won’t miss your race. (Yes, it happened to me last March and June.) Plus you can do some sightseeing. Visiting a new place is one of the perks of a destination race!!
Happy Running! Any other tips for a destination race?