Since it is Thursday, I’m linking up today with Amanda for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.
Here’s what I’m thinking about today:
I don’t get it while I’m running. Running always seems hard.
But when you get a PR when you didn’t expect it and probably didn’t deserve it, that is a Runner’s High!!
Why did it happen?
- I was thrilled with my last half finish time and wasn’t stressed about having a good race. In other words, I was very relaxed!!
- The course was flat. This is a biggie.
- The temps were cool. This helped too however, it was humid.
- It was raining and I wanted to be done. But it was never raining that hard to get soaked.
How could I have done even better?
- Walk less. Yep, I walked 7 times and twice for a rather long time. (Can you drink, eat Gu & run at the same time?)
- Push harder. I was never out of breath. I was able to chat with other runners. My legs never felt tired.
- Warm up before. It was cold and damp. My ankle was stiff and painful for the first half of the race. Taking Tylenol would have helped. Sitting in my warm car until the race started probably didn’t help.
- Follow a training plan. I never increased my mileage during the week. Just 3-4 miles of easy runs (except for one group speed drill. I did most of long runs as add-ons to my 5k races)
If you read my blog, you know that I was doubtful that I would ever run a half marathon PR again. I wondered if my January 2015 finish time was just a fluke.
Now I think, I that I am capable of running an even faster 13.1 miles.
It may never happen because as we know there are so many factors involved… but until then I am basking in my PR glory.
Another half marathon in 7 weeks!!!
I’d be lying if I said that I am going to train differently for this race.
Hey, look at this racing schedule (in red is the long run distance that I should complete):
- 10-15-16 – Great Pumpkin Challenge 10K (7 m – 6.2 is close enough)
- 10-22-16 – L.L. Bean Bright Night 5K (8 m – not happening)
- 10-29-16 – Monster Scramble 10K (possibly but not registered yet) (9 m)
- 11-05-16 – NYRR Dash to the Finish Line 5K in NYC (10 m – not happening)
- 11-11-16 – Veteran’s Dash 5k
- 11-13-16 – Stockade-athon 15K (11 m – 9.3 is close, right?)
- 11-19-16 – Girls on the Run 5k (volunteering with STEM) (12 m)
- 11-24-16 – Troy Turkey Trot 10k and 5k (10 m – 9.3 is close)
I, of course, want to run a good race on December 3. But my goal is to run well enough and have a fun vacation with some super women!!
Margaritaville, here I come…
Happy Running! What’s going on in your life?